Are Cubs Fans Really The Worst in The Country?


Driving in to work this morning my normal radio station was on commercial (Q101) so I was flipping through stations and happened upon Drex in the morning on 103.5 in Chicago. I’ve written about this radio show before and how much I can’t stand them, but I happen to flip through right as Drex was reading off a list of the worst sports fans in the country. This list spanned all sports and all classes not just professional. I only caught the top 5 of the list so when they were about to announce number 1 I immediately thought that it was going to be the Cubs even without hearing 5-10, and I was right. The Cub fans were voted worst sports fans in the country. And Drex couldn’t believe that, but I don’t know why.

Drex kept yelling “no comprende” because he’s clearly an idiot and can’t understand that 80% of the people at the Cubs games are not there for the game, therefore they aren’t true fans. And if you’re reading this right now I bet you’re thinking “well this idiot must be a white sox fan” (as in me), but no… I’ve been a Cubs fan forever, I’ve been a fan of baseball in general forever. I’m not one of those guys that will sit here and bash the White Sox just because I happen to be a fan of the Cubs, I’ll root for both Chicago baseball teams because I’m a fan of the sport in general. Of course I have to root for the Cubs when they play the Sox, but that’s understandable.

So back to the argument that Cubs fans are the worst in the country. I will disagree on that statement if you’re talking about the 20% of true Cubs fans that love the game, love the team and bleed Cubby blue, but that’s only 20% of the people at the games. The other 80% of the people there got hammered at a bar across the street before the game, happen to have a ticket so they went in to the park to continue the party and have no idea what inning the game is in or what the score is. They become rude to other people at the game, spill beer, yell, and become the reason why the Cub fans were probably voted worst fans. And a lot of times it’s these same idiots that yell about how this is our year and we’re gonna win this year, or “there’s always next year”. Give it up already, if it happens it happens, the superstitions and curses are all stupid, it’s all about how the team plays in a given year.

Drex also touched on upon the fact that maybe it’s because the people at the games are smug, but then he goes on to say that he’s never encountered smugness at a game. Well guess what… that’s because you’re the smug one! Majority of the Wrigleyville/Lincoln Park area is filled with these yuppy morons that make up that 80% of Cub fans. So if you’re in that 20% that are actually fans of the game and there to watch the game then good for you. Obviously you can talk to friends and drink and have a good time, but if you don’t even know what inning the game is in or what the score is you are in that other 80% that are the reason we were voted to have the worst fans in the country. And honestly I don’t even know where the list came from that Drex was reading, but true Cubs fans will probably agree that it’s no surprise that the rest of the country thinks we have terrible fans. I mean seriously, who throws a full beer on an opposing player in the outfield… only a “Cubs fan”.